Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Smoothie

     A normal breakfast for me is usually a bowl of Brown Sugar Quaker Oat Squares, or yogurt and granola, or an apple with peanut butter, or sometimes--if we have any-- banana bread with a glass of milk. That last one is rare because banana bread doesn't last long around my house. Although, lately I have been trying something a little different and making myself breakfast smoothies. I used to shy away from making smoothies at home because 1) it is such a hassle to get out the blender and clean it up afterwards, and 2) I could never make them taste as good as Smoothie King. But now our blender stays out on the counter because Adam has a smoothie (peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, and protein-- frankly not for me) every morning before school. And there is not a Smoothie King to be found anywhere around here so I am forced to improve my smoothie making abilities. I am very sad about not having a Smoothie King-- as well as not having a Pepito's (our favorite mexican restaurant back home), a DePalma's (our favorite Italian restaurant back home), or a great seafood place like Ed's Seafood Shed. However, this could be a blessing in disguise. Because all of our favorite restaurants are not here we don't even think about going out and eating like we used to in college, which is healthier and not so expensive. Another good thing about eating in is that I get to try a ton of new recipes and share them with you lovely folks! 
     The recipe I am going to share with you today is one I made up this morning while trying to decide what I wanted to eat for breakfast. The blender, milk, and protein powder were already out from Adam's smoothie, so I grabbed some frozen blueberries from the freezer and went from there. I like to call this smoothie a Blueberry Muffin Smoothie. It really does have the essence of a blueberry muffin-- I have a secret ingredient. And you get to know what it is and find out where to get it!

Here is how I made the smoothie:



In your blender pour 1 cup of milk, a heaping half cup of frozen blueberries, a scoop and a half of cake batter flavored whey protein powder* and blend till smooth. Drop four ice cubes into the blender while it is on, one at a time. If your blender has an "ice crush" feature now is the time to use it!

*That's the secret ingredient! The cake batter flavored whey protein powder is not something everyone has just laying around-- I understand that-- but you could easily substitute vanilla protein powder and make a Vanilla Blueberry Smoothie. Although, the really yummy blueberry muffin flavor this smoothie has is all due to the cake batter flavor of the protein. So if you think you'd like to have some of this awesome Cake Batter Whey Protein laying around just click here to go to the website where we purchase it: Cake Batter Protein.

And there you have it! A no-sugar added, protein and antioxidant packed smoothie that also gives you a serving of bone healthy milk... I'd say that's a very healthy and delicious breakfast! 

Happy Wednesday everyone! Love ya!

2 comments:

  1. Gonna buy some of that Cake Batter Protein. Might be good in a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try that cake batter protein myself Maria because you know how much I love smoothies! Everyday for breakfast I have one.

    ReplyDelete