Thursday, September 15, 2011

Safari Park! July 6, 2011

     Here are some pictures of a little adventure Adam and I went on this summer. I said this in another post but just in case you missed it: this summer we took turns deciding what to do each day. I chose this little outing and it was way too much fun! I saw a billboard for the Safari Park one day while we were driving home from another adventure and I put it on our list of things we wanted to do. Well, when it was my day to choose I picked the Safari Park. I thought the whole concept  of the Safari Park was cool because I don't really enjoy zoos where all of the animals are in small cages, it stinks from there being too much you-know-what in a very small space, and there is no place for the animals to get any real exercise. Well, the Safari Park was not like that at all! I mean sure they put the carnivores separate, and those animals that could easily climb the fence (example: monkeys) were in large cages. But it was more like a HUGE farm where the animals grazed around together, living in harmony (well, I'm sure there have been a few fatalities. Circle of life people!). You are allowed to just drive your car through the park and roll your windows down to pet the herbivores, but can also ride through the park on a trailer hitched to the back of a tractor. Adam and I wanted to ride behind the tractor :) We bought our tickets, found out what time we needed to be at the tractor, and headed to the gift/snack shop. Adam got a ginormous blue popsicle and I got an ice cream cone. 




Here is Adam with his very blue tongue :) At this point we were already loaded onto the trailer behind the tractor.

They give you little buckets of feed to give the animals.

This guy was waiting on us as soon as we entered the park

I love this man! And we are having a very fun time... just like two kids at the zoo :)

Giraffe!

Look at all those deer! ... and all the other things. Adam was really wanting his shotgun right then.

Now these guys look sweet...

and they were...

... but only for a minute! Then they steal your feed bucket!!


This guy looked OLD.




There were lots of deer.


This big man looked so regal to me.


Where's my bow and arrow???

The driver told us that to feed the buffalo you should hold your hand above their head, wait for them to open their mouth and stick their tongue out, then sprinkle the feed on their tongue. It was so weird-- but cool too!

I told you! Animals living together in harmony.

This is what I think Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comit,  Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen look like-- even though this is not a reindeer. 

I got to touch his felt antlers. They were extremely soft.

Now to the two-hump camels.

These guys were just as guilty of bucket stealing as the one-humps.


This little llama momma was precious!

Sweet little ugly face :)

Adam liked this llama the best :) she was very sweet.

*baby voice* oh my goo'ness. jus look a' tha' lil bitty baby llama. It is jus too cute!

After we got off the trailer we went to see a few other animals. These little guys entertained us for a long time. They are so funny!

While we were watching them they would take their little hands, reach out and snatch a few shoots of grass, and then very greedily eat it. These might have been my favorite to watch.

I mean just look at them!!

Then we saw kangaroos. If you look really closely at the one standing up you can see the back leg of her baby sticking out of her pouch.

This was papa kangaroo. He scared me.

Ah! So much fun!

I'm happy I got to share these with y'all! Thanks for reading :)
Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. I know you enjoyed this. I always thought you might be a veterinarian because you love animals so much. But then again, you always said you love them to much to have to see them hurt. Well, thanks for the pics, keep on posting!!!!
    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this..."LLAMA FACE" -Emperors New Groove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane said I want to go here Maria because you know how much I love animals! Steve and I loved reading this. Love you both thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete